Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Halloween in Black and White


Halloween has passed (it is not really celebrated here) and we’re on to what could be termed the Day of the Dead. I have photos for that, but Halloween first, in a loose sort of way.
I ended up leaving George and Calypso Spots in California with my parents, since while I would like to have their company here, the idea of carting two rabbits (one rather hefty) across the Atlantic was not very agreeable, and I did not think George was likely to get the standard of veterinary care here that he sometimes needs.
As many of you know, George and my parents are extremely attached to each other. Ms. Spots and my parents like each other, but I wouldn’t say that they have formed quite as deep a bond, in part because my parents no longer feel up to spending a lot of time lying on the floor and Ms. Spots has not really gotten accustomed to sitting on laps. Consequently, I was pleased to get the following report:
“George is doing fine. He has occasional seizures, but not bad ones. Spots is spending more and more time in our company. She comes out to the kitchen and has a favorite spot by the dishwasher, as well as the secluded one behind the love seat. This morning I thought she would climb right into the refrig when she discovered I had romaine in the drawer there. She is getting to expect treats in the kitchen as well as in the living room.
We usually have ice cream in the evening, which is when I have been giving them yogurt, and sometimes when she sees me go out to the kitchen she follows to get her yogurt more quickly, I guess. Last night was Halloween and I set the chicken basket full of miniature Hershey bars on the floor by the front door. All of a sudden I realized that she had jumped out of the pen, grabbed a bar, and taken it back next to the pen to devour it. Most of what she ate was the wrapper, but she did get part of the little bar. So you see, she is feeling pretty much at home.”
Since George isn’t able to leap up and steal his own chocolate bars, it is easy to forget that some rabbits have a passionate interest in chocolate… until someone happens to leave some lying around. If El Cerrito is having a shortage of trick-or-treaters and that basket is left anywhere in the living room, I think we can guarantee that the Spotted Wonder will make off with as much as she can manage, and will leave bits of foil in unlikely places. My parents have evidently forgotten about the Dance of Extreme Joy that greeted the pieces of chocolate cake during the summer. Well, let’s just hope they don’t stock up on gingerbread or Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups either. Her Spottedness might get really wild and jump onto the dining room table.
I don’t have any photos of Ms. Spottolia devouring chocolate products, but she did think the quilt I began this summer had a tempting flavor. It must have been the batik dyes.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I can only imagine that if there were bowls of chocolates lying around in Brno I would probably do the same thing. :)

November 02, 2005 11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely unfortunate that the Czechs don't trick or treat, at least not on Halloween.

November 02, 2005 11:28 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

I agree it seems natural to steal chocolates that are just lying around, but not everyone is used to seeing rabbits do this (especially when they eat the wrappers along with the chocolates). Speaking of which, I think it is time to renew my supply of chocolate.

November 03, 2005 9:06 PM  
Blogger professorquinn said...

I had to pop in and see your blog and your bunnies. I've got to figure out how to post pictures on my blog...anyway, your spotted bunny resembles (although black, whereas mine were fawn-colored) my buns Pippin and Merry and Mitzi! I miss them quite a bit, and seeing your photos has given me a happy buzz today, remembering them and posting about them on my blog.

November 09, 2005 8:26 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

Delightful photo of Merry on your blog, as I said there. We grad-student rabbit-people have to stick together. One of these days there will be some more rabbit photos here.

November 24, 2005 11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home