Friday, September 01, 2006

Pram Alert

Jesse has often observed the remarkable prevalence of prams (aka baby buggies) in the Czech Republic, and has wondered why parents don't just tote their kids in backpacks or strollers as is the norm in the US.
While I can't provide any insight as to why the Czechs prefer prams (which, after all, are really only usable for quite young babies), I have to note that prams may be invading the US.
The other day I saw a contingent of no less than six women wheeling prams across the street at the corner of Solano and San Pablo in Albany, California.
Who were these women? Why did they all have prams? Why were they all crossing the street together? What was the appeal of Solano on the west side of San Pablo (the east side, I think, is much more interesting)?
Is this a marketing ploy?
Unfortunately, I was in my car at the time and had forgotten my camera. However, when I reached REI (where, in fact, one of my goals was to get a new camera bag), I noticed that the baby-mobiles people attach to their bikes here are called chariots--just like the ski-prams Jesse has found advertised in Czech. Same company, or just the same concept?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

I don't know if the Czechs have the same bizarre notions about babies as the Russians, but... Baby backpacks are horrifying to Russians--they believe it harmful for babies to sit up or basically do anything until they are nearly a year old. When I was there in the mid-90s, a Canadian colleague who had a baby was read the riot act by a group of babushki one day about how she was damaging her baby for life by carrying her around in a snuggli (one of those backpack things worn on the front). Her legs were dangling, you know. Irreversible damage would occur.

September 02, 2006 4:57 AM  
Blogger morskyjezek said...

I wouldn't be surprised if there is something along those lines. Recently I've seen a lot of prams with "raincoats" (it was a cold and rainy August in Brno). They're very cute because they usually have short little chimney-like vent on the top so there is air circulation but the water doesn't all in.

It is disappointing that you didn't get any pictures, but I wouldn't advocate taking pictures and driving at the same time...

September 03, 2006 10:21 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

The raincoats must be a new gimmick. We'll have to photograph some.

I don't know what the Czech view on correct baby-carrying is. I suppose it could be akin to the Russian, but I would be a bit surprised if it was.

September 04, 2006 1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home