Thursday, June 07, 2007

Waiting for Hubert

Any time now, I daresay there will be a call indicating that Hubert, intrepid traveling composer, is at my door. I'm not sure exactly which city he's coming in from; he was last heard of in Berkeley, where I gather he and Megan had lunch or something and he and John also communed.
I'm not certain that the neighborhood musical accompaniment will be quite what Hubert is expecting; some sort of very loud band across the street at Žlutý lazně is giving its all to songs like "Smoke on the Water," which kind of takes me back to an earlier stage in life than I had really anticipated contemplating this evening.
But... sooner or later Hubert will get here, and then I'll have to deal with the fact that my efforts to begin packing and moving out are, as is somehow always the case, rendering the apartment less than usually habitable. Having spent time in Hubert's old room on Spalena, I imagine he can handle this, but he will want a place to put his stuff. And as Alex will be arriving tomorrow night, she too will be wanting someplace to put things, although I don't suppose she'll be carrying quite as much gear since she's only coming for the weekend.
Ah yes. Think of all the havoc we can wreak!
Well, both Alex and Julia have expressed a hope (and others may wonder) that I will continue the blog once I relocate.
The answer is yes, the blog will indeed continue at least until I finish the dissertation. Readers around the world will get to see photos of (I suppose) exciting places like the UC Berkeley library, the kitsch emporia of San Francisco's Mission, and Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning. There will even be more photos of Calypso Spots and Orion! Julia said she doesn't think I will lose my edge, so we can only hope this proves true.
Meanwhile, Hubert has safely arrived and is now unpacking a large selection of attire onto the couch.

2 Comments:

Blogger morskyjezek said...

Yay! I'm waiting for the pictures of the Cathedral of Learning...I've been reading Michael Chabon's The Mysteries of Pittsburgh and the main character occasionally catches a glimpse of it in the distance, but it's hard for me to imagine since I have only your and his verbal descriptions. No doubt I could find a picture online, but I'm still looking forward to the continued blogging about such things.

June 11, 2007 7:40 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

There is nothing quite like the Cathedral of Learning, anywhere or at any time.

And although some U Pitt undergrads appear to believe otherwise, it was not built in the 13th century.

June 12, 2007 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home