Sunday, August 03, 2008

Delicious Revamps

This morning when I attempted to add a Delicious tag, I had to log in. I almost never have to log in, so I wondered what was going on.
It turns out that Delicious has revamped its functions somewhat. I haven't had a lot of time to investigate, but the main thing that strikes me thus far is that, for those of us who try to bundle our tags, the new system isn't very friendly toward non-bundled tags. They just don't show up anywhere unless you go into the tag-bundling area. You have to go into a specific bundle to actually see all the tags you've ever used, and you have to tell it show you whether tags are used in other bundles.
I do often put a tag in more than one bundle, but I am most concerned to get the tags into at least one, because formerly the unbundled tags were all down at the bottom of the page and I had to scroll down to find them. Now it's even more vital to get them into bundles, because they just aren't anywhere to be seen under normal circumstances.
This is irksome, because while I do go in every few months and update the bundles, even when I've just done it, there are quite a few tags that just don't have a bundle. What am I to do with the tag "friends" for instance? Stick it in the "Practical" bundle? That seems a bit weird. "Fun"? Kind of limited. What about "hypnotism," "looting," "interviews," and "contests"?
Furthermore, certain tags show up as unbundled until you go to the bundle they belong in, with the intent of adding them, only to discover that they really are already there. I am not happy about that.
It looks like the display for tagged sites might be better than before, but I didn't really have a strong opinion on it previously, and I'm not sure I have a strong opinion on it yet now.
We will have to see how this all goes.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger peacay said...

It's F.A.S.T.E.R. so if there are little bugbears at the margins then I think they should be put in proper perspective. It's also a beta thingy and I know (because I have spoken with someone working there) that they are going to slowly develop things after all the feedback.

Also, have you seen delizzy?
http://www.delizzy.com/

It's an offsite search engine of both your delicious links PLUS all the content on all of those saved pages.

Not sure if this is ultra useful for you if you only have the blog links on delish (although I suspect it will help there too) but in my case, with my personal bookmarks, it is fantastico!

September 07, 2008 6:02 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Er, see my email on this but I'm just sort of waiting to see how they work out the bugs. Some have already been dealt with, I think.

I'm realizing (or maybe just getting confused as it's late at night here), I'm not quite sure what you mean at the end about links vs bookmarks. Let me ponder this in the morning and see if I grasp it.

September 07, 2008 6:36 AM  
Blogger peacay said...

What I mean is this:

I don't know if you have a 2nd delish a/c. I understand your primary one is to arrange the entries on this blog, correct?

Well then delizzy will search your tags and commentary BUT it will also search the content, meaning every word you've typed on this blog. But the blog search engine will essentially do the same thing (except for the tags and commentary at delish).

So it's not necessarily that much use for your blog delish a/c (perhaps) nor is it of great benefit for my Bib delish a/c. BUT it is great for my peacay a/c because that's got all manner of weird and wonderful links so delizzy will search the content on the pages of those saved links as well as all my tags and all my commentary at delish.

Comprenez? If not, go and play with it.

September 07, 2008 6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home