Monday, January 30, 2006

New Scarves for All

I have felt a nagging awareness that, although I do knit, nothing I’ve made has appeared on this blog.
This may be because, unlike my usual holiday and/or conference mode of production, I have only completed one item since coming to the Czech Republic. It’s a scarf I gave Štěpanka for Christmas. Like many scarves I’ve made in the last few years, it’s knit in Eros yarn using garter stitch on size 13 needles, but it’s the first triangular one I’ve done. Somehow it didn’t end up quite as triangular looking as I had in mind… Perhaps I should stick to long rectangles. They require next to no thought.

On the knitting topic, however, alert readers will have noticed a Russian Orenburg lace shawl on my shoulders in recent photos. This was a gift from Kristen, who sent it from Moscow. I have to admit that neither of us is quite up to the challenge of knitting our own orenburg patterns yet, but you can see the pattern better on the one Kristen bought herself (I couldn’t find a good dark background to hang mine against for this photo).
Jesse also got a handsome handknit scarf for Christmas from a friend in the US, but I failed to photograph it, although I would like to try making one like it. It’s a brownish-gray wool with a garter stitch border and a slanting repeat pattern in the middle.

Filed under:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home