Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Bird Biologists Meet In Banská Bystrica

M.L., our Prešov (Slovakia) contact, recently felt compelled to inquire whether birds have penises. Well, I guess the entire Slovak Fulbright contingent wondered. Perhaps there was something unusually compelling about the pigeon population in Banská Bystrica, as it appears that the Slovak group gathered in this city to study avian reproduction (when not eating larger-than-life platters of halušky).
Fortunately, M.L.'s scientific curiosity led him to seek an answer to this question rather than merely pose it as some sort of Trivial Pursuit card. While I already knew that chickens mate cloaca to cloaca (ugh), Pharyngula provides more information and more entertainingly than I had believed possible. The diagrams alone are priceless.
Meanwhile, Jesse has reminded me several times to note that anyone who enjoyed reading my account of the Mexican fusion restaurant will want to read M.L.'s discussion of Mexican and other food in Prešov. There is a second part of this Prešov restaurant roundup as well, in which M.L. commits the heresy of comparing Kofola to battery acid. What can I say, I don't drink much Kofola, but it is considerably better than Coke or Pepsi. I like the hint of anise but am not wild about the chemical aftertaste.

Filed under:

3 Comments:

Blogger M.L. said...

Let's not shirk the issue, I compared Kofola to battery acid doused in vomit, and I only did so to avoid a more accurate and perhaps defamatory comparison to bleu cheese which has spent an excessive amount of time in a colostomy bag.
Love the blog, by the way, sorry to deface it with such lewdness.

March 29, 2006 1:38 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

We'll agree to differ on the Kofola issue. Jesse is the true Kofola defender.

As for the descriptions, were you under the impression that there is a dearth of lewdness in this blog? (Perhaps there is, now that you mention it. I am aware that there is definitely a dearth of Toyen, especially since I've discovered that Czech Google inexorably leads people seeking her to a page of this blog that says nothing whatsoever about her.)

March 29, 2006 3:41 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

You're drinking a fizzy beverage? Where is Karla and what have you done with her?!

March 29, 2006 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home