Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Scary Theoretician Quiz

Since Kristen has brought this to my attention...


What 20th Century Theorist are you?




You are Jacques Lacan! Arguably the most important psychoanalyst since Freud, you never wrote anything down, and the only works of yours are transcriptions of your lectures. You are notoriously difficult to understand, but at least you didn't talk about the penis as much as other psychoanalysts. You died in 1981.
Take this quiz!



I don't know what to say about this except it must be the result of my claiming to have psychoanalytic literature beside my bed. I don't, but it has been a long time since I read any Poe, and Colette and Borges were paired with people I haven't read. And I do read psychoanalytic literature for my dissertation. (But Lacan??? Well, at least he associated with surrealists...)
Oh, and I avoided marking words like "abject" and "subaltern" in preference for Caillois-like terms such as "mimicry."

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

I chose both abject and mimicry. Ergo, Kristeva. Whoopie.

March 22, 2007 4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are Franz Fanon! The father of postcolonialism, you were a prominant French academic until you resigned your post and joined the Algerian resistance. Your works are surprisingly readable for a major theorist, although you only have two of them. You died in 1961 of Lukemia.
My ego has increased :-)

March 22, 2007 11:41 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Funny I had the same result and I expect for the same reason. Since I am reading texts for the classes I currently teach, that was the closest reading list to what I actually have on my bedside table. Nothing else seemed to fit!

March 24, 2007 1:32 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Something like a third of the people taking the quiz end up with Lacan. I'm relieved that at least Kristen and Swobodin are keeping things diverse.

March 24, 2007 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home