Friday, June 08, 2007

Repulsively Appropriate


Right when I had the big Toyen catalog open to this painting, a little red TICK began racing along the page.
Since Czech ticks carry serious diseases that I'm not immunized for, they make me uneasy. I immediately squashed the tick in the book.
Well, evidently the tick was full of somebody's blood. There's now a blood spot on the reproduction.
I suppose the bat in the painting (Frequently Strewn Sheets, 1959) is meant to be a vampire bat, so future readers of the library's copy of this book will just have to suppose the bat got a little messy while dining amidst the sheets.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger lotusgreen said...

euwwwwww


:^D

June 08, 2007 10:35 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

It was at least a very small tick.

June 08, 2007 10:39 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Yikes!!! I didn't even know ticks came in red! Bleh!

June 09, 2007 6:32 AM  
Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

I like it! It is a picture of a bat's head meatloaf!

June 09, 2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

I'm no tick expert, it just looked like what ticks in pictures look like. I suppose it could have been some entirely inoffensive creature, but it seemed very bloody when squashed.

June 09, 2007 5:50 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Maybe it was a red spider mite? They look like ticks, but are much smaller (and of no threat to humans). Blech at any rate!

June 09, 2007 10:39 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

If it was a red spider mite, I beg its pardon for the wanton destruction. But why was it so bloody if not a tick? Masses of red stuff from such a small creature.

June 10, 2007 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home