Thursday, August 09, 2007

El Cerrito Gardens, Part I

There has been too much text and a dearth of pictures here of late. I therefore commence a long-intended series on Bay Area gardens.
Each of these is from a different garden passed on the way to Fat Apples (where the pumpkin pancakes are very fine).





These roses belong to what has always been a very charming yard. One year, if I remember correctly, it even won a local gardening award. It's the first time I've ever seen them quite like this, however. I guess too many people couldn't resist picking the blossoms. I'm not sure why else there would be netting over them.

This struck me as quite an enchanting vista.

This house, while its front yard is small, packs in a fine selection of colorful flora.

But, of course, at least half the yards still look pretty much like this. It used to be most of them.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

The roses are lovely!

August 10, 2007 9:34 PM  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

Karla,
What a great idea. I am not familiar with the special places in el cerrito but do love the Berkeley Rose Garden as well as the Berkeley Marina at twilight.

August 11, 2007 3:53 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I'd say the special places in El Cerrito are just random, wherever someone decides to do something nice with the yard. (Which, as we shall see, sometimes leads the neighbors to follow suit.)

They are indeed fine roses, but I confess I prefer other types than hybrid tea. If it were May I could cover the Old Rose Show here, where I used to buy wonderful stuff.

August 11, 2007 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home