Saturday, July 28, 2007

Weekend Work

Some people work on the weekend; some people don't. The average grad student, of course, works at pretty much any time of day or night, any day of the week, which is both an advantage and a curse (as you wish to envision it).
This weekend's task around here is to see if a journal article can actually be completed out of the mass of pieces pulled from the dissertation; the thing would have to arrive by mail by August 1 so we're looking at overnighting it even should it prove possible to finish the thing.
Of course, I have known about this journal's deadline since the middle of May. In mid-May I was trying to wrap up my Prague research; in mid-June I was presenting a paper at the Tate Modern and returning to California; in late June and early July I was trying to get a couple of chapters into something approaching a condition that my advisor would find readable. So, in late July, here we go with this project.
It is one of those eminently possible projects... it requires no new research and not a lot of utterly new text. I'd say it is close to being a real article. But will I manage to give it that glossy finish of the publishable history article? The journal in question publishes readable, interesting studies, and it would be a fine place to publish.
Well, we'll see how much more revision I can stomach. Maybe yesterday I finally got it past its major cut-and-paste reorganizing stage and can concentrate on perfecting it. One never knows quite where one is in the process until one is on to the next stage. And Toyen is probably exerting beyond-the-grave pressure to keep this in draft form.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

"Good luck!" says she who has spent the weekend merely thinking about working.

July 30, 2007 12:56 AM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Good luck with that! Deadlines are dreadful. I have to start prepping for the upcoming semester, and I always find something else to do! Love the pie recipe and the pictures of the lovely Orion. He is simply beautiful. I do miss having a bunny friend in my home, they are such fine companions. At least I can live vicariously a little by reading your post and seeing the pictures.

July 30, 2007 6:44 AM  
Blogger ARK said...

Karla...
A few lines here to say a few things. First, I very recently happened upon your blog: delightful, and I do look forward to peeking through your archived posts. Second, your advice for Claudius (my combustible feline comrade-in-paws) is wise and welcome. Claude's possessed of a kindly furry temperament; blogging is his way of going "GRRR!" or "HEH!" in the face of a sometimes confounding world (like me?). Third, but not least: here's hoping your weekend work went swimmingly. On the subject of deadlines, I can genuinely extend a very Clintonian "I feel your pain." Oh, and a fourth thing: impressive, beautiful rabbits! I'll be here again.
Andres
arkahar@rogers.com

July 30, 2007 3:27 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

Alas that the article is not yet done (today, perhaps?), but as always Orion and Ms. Spots greet their admirers with enthusiasm and settle down to be petted.

July 30, 2007 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home