Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Rabbits Detest Travel

Despite the fact that I was able to bring the rabbits into my motel room last night (before leaving, I got them a foldable exercise pen that can be put in any number of different shapes), they were not much pleased at our continued travel. Orion was relatively frisky inside the pen, but indicated that he thought he should at least have the run of the room and not be confined. Ms. Spots remained very irritable looking and wasn't sure she really wanted to be petted because, of course, it is my fault we are traveling. Both, however, ate greens with enthusiasm. They are not very interested in the apples and carrots I brought, but they do eat hay when we stop, and lettuce and parsley were extremely well received.
Still, despite having a good appetite, Ms. Spots has visibly lost weight. A year ago, she was much bigger than Orion. Now she looks about half his size, which shows that on the one hand he is overweight and not losing pounds, while she has certainly lost any remaining excess. I'm glad that her pre-trip vet visit indicated her to be in excellent shape, because otherwise I would be rather worried about this. She seems to feel that her task on the trip is to express their collective distress to me, and the fact that I don't provide the desired response (instant return to my parents' house) is taken as a sign of my bad faith.
I had thought this would be easier on them than plane travel, where they get cooped up in the carrier for about 13 hours and shoved under the seat, but Ms. Spots forgives me for plane travel.
We shall see how the rest of the trip goes.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Where are you and the spotted pair now?

August 23, 2007 1:59 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Poor bunnies! I'm sure they'll forgive you once they are settled in their new home.

August 24, 2007 2:47 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

We've finally reached Pittsburgh, but I don't have easy internet access yet. They're hanging out in my new kitchen while I'm at the library.

August 25, 2007 11:10 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Good, I'm sure they will forgive you as soon as they feel settled. They could not have been too mad as they still enjoyed fresh food. Get them a couple of strawberries and they will be devoted again! I remember my little guy not liking travels either, even when it was just to the vet down the street. I always thought that that was the reason, you know, the "V" word! Although he was always a good patient and let me hold him for any procedure he received. Our vet was always amazed!

August 25, 2007 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home