Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Bus Decorations

I didn't think I really had anything against the verbiage that decorates various Pittsburgh buses--for instance, I kind of liked the campaign that said "Welcome to the neighborhood" in a wide variety of languages including Czech.
I do not, however, like having this stuff take up so much of the bus window that I can't see where my stop is. I've already learned that when I take the 500 home, I'd better sit on the left side and watch obsessively for the lights outside Tazza d'Oro, which are the only night-time landmark near my stop, but I never thought I'd miss my stop on the 71A, as my apartment complex is pretty noticeable. Well... noticeable if the bus window isn't plastered over with text!
I admit, of course, that it is not all that unpleasant to walk a bit in my neighborhood, which is one reason I sometimes take the 500.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

That is pretty crazy that they cover up the windows with ads. They can make them see through if they use the right material...

I've missed my metro stop on occasion, I'm ashamed to admit. Hence the screenshot on my phone of the blue bubble walls of Namesti Miru. It works like a charm!

January 23, 2008 10:49 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Huh. Good point. I never thought about people not being able to find their stop with those since they are see-through, if not transparent. I didn't even imagine people with vision problems might have issues with them. Bad Kristen! I guess I've been living in my current apartment long enought that I know where my stop is merely by instinct. The only times I've missed my stop is when I've been in the back of the bus and discovered too late that the signal cord is broken and then had to yell.

January 24, 2008 12:39 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I tested this another night... part of the issue is dirt on the windows helping obscure things. Under normal circumstances, my stop is pretty hard to miss on the 71A, but I agree that Kristen's would be much harder to miss due to the stop being on a major, well-lit street.

January 27, 2008 4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home