Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Random Tidbits

Today three people in David's metaphor class confessed to being able to read Russian. I am not sure whether two of them were absent last week or what. I feel mildly relieved, although my own ability to read Russian (since I only know a small part of the Cyrillic alphabet) is limited to recognizing the occasional word.

Work on the tram line south of my stop has evidently finished, and thus my stop is no longer an end point. (I realize I never mentioned this work at all, but you can't have everything in one blog.)

Work on the tram tracks crossing the river to Smíchov has begun, meaning that if I get up the energy to go to the grocery store in Nový Smíchov, I'll either have to take the Metro or walk from Palackého naměstí. (What suffering... Well, actually I usually do walk from Palackého anyway. I just don't often manage to persuade myself to brave the crowds in the mall.)

A book I added to my stack of exhibition catalogues and such in the belief that it was 330Kč proved to be ten times that amount.

More pleasantly, I've learned that it is now permissible to take digital photos at the archive if one simply fills out a form. What a splendid change of policy! This afternoon I photographed all 76 of Toyen's illustrations for the Heptameron.

Finally, one of my faithful readers emails me the following:
There's a new Russian vampire-thriller out called Night Watch that I have no desire to see, and I can't imagine it would be likely to appeal to you, either. Nevertheless, I thought the following line of description from a review I read had something to recommend it:
"Aided by Olga, a woman who has spent 60 years as a stuffed owl, [the hero] must guard a boy who seems to be in danger."

2 Comments:

Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Ohh! I do love that description of the movie, and I sorta like vampires, especially the newer take on these stories. One of my favorite authors, Octavia Buttler who died last month just published a novel called "Fledgling" about her interesting concept of vampires. I was so looking for more installments on this novel as she has done a few trilogy. Unfortunately, this book will remain an independent venture on her part.

March 09, 2006 6:48 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I don't know anything about this show (is it a movie or TV program?) but am not totally immune to the lure of a good vampire story.

March 09, 2006 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home