Monday, September 04, 2006

Bay Area Weather

Overheard on the morning radio: "Highs today will be from the 50s to the 90s."
Now if this doesn't capture Bay Area weather in a nutshell, I don't know what does. And we can bet that in this neighborhood that means another day of ironic rejoicing when the thermometer finally hits 60 sometime in the afternoon.
I was forcibly reminded of this last weekend when my writing group met down in Fremont, where the weather was probably in the mid-80s around noon and Kathleen grows jacarandas, cacti, and bird-of-paradise. (Admittedly, this yard used to have an extremely vigorous prickly pear plant that my father finally killed off.) I mean, when I left for Fremont, my mother was getting ready to turn on the furnace, and when I arrived, I had to take off my jacket and sweatshirt and was a little sorry I hadn't worn a sleeveless top.
But around here, the only time I've worn sleeveless tops was during the mini-heat wave that occurred when I first arrived from Prague. Other than that, it has been mostly long-sleeved shirts.
I guess I'll experience some weather shock when I visit Pittsburgh and DC on my way to Prague. We can be sure that the temperatures there will be well over 80.
Meanwhile, Cesar threw a last-minute party for my benefit last night, but I have not had enough sleep yet to comment.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Actually, the prediction for here is the upper 70s. I'm definitely hoping no over 80s, though I know we are still in summer.

September 04, 2006 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home