Thursday, February 01, 2007

Blogrrr

Now that the blog has been reset to the "new" version for a couple of days, I can't say I am any more impressed than before. I mean, ok, it's nice that Blogger has implemented labels for posts, but I was already using Delicious tags and will continue to do so, as I don't see going back and labeling hundreds of posts.
No, not only is it really tedious to have to click several extra times every time I want to leave a comment (yes, of course I want all the items on the screen to display, what do you think, electronic moron?), but the identification of all the Blogger commenters of the past has turned to Anonymous. Suddenly, if we go back and look at old comments, there's no way of knowing whether Jesse, Alex, Kristen, or whoever left them. People who did genuine Anonymous-style comments and signed them remain identified, of course. This is not my idea of good web design. It is nice to know who left a comment and to be able to click on the ID to go to their blog, especially with people one doesn't know yet.
And now back to the library, where the librarians have been treating me exceptionally well.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

This is really odd! All my old comments are still tagged properly... And I don't have to go through any extra steps to leave comments... (I do on blogs that haven't yet converted.) Perhaps you should check your settings? Maybe there is some glitch there?

February 02, 2007 3:02 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I've complained to Blogger (which reminds me how next-to-impossible it is to find where you can actually send them a message) and now I guess I'll look at my settings, as the whole template is misbehaving now. (Not that it didn't occasionally do that before.)

February 02, 2007 8:49 PM  
Blogger peacay said...

I AM whoever!
But yeah. I basically agree with all you've said and notice you're actually using the labels. I voted no and am still trying to decide what other 'way' it might assist.

The only good thing is when it comes to publishing I think. There's a half-step cut out there somewhere. Overall however I'm less than impressed. Although I am getting what I paid for I suppose ;- )

February 11, 2007 7:18 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

Yes, you are WHOEVER... and I like to remember which things PK Whoever said versus other less-frequent but nonetheless valued visitors. Ah, Blogger and its ways. I'm trying the labels, but as an add-on to the Delicious tags, not a replacement. If Blogger had had them when I started, I'd have been ecstatic. But I'm curious what half-step has been cut out for you. I don't think this has happened for me. Maybe on images, since that's your main thing whereas I don't think I've tried any images with new Blogger?

February 11, 2007 8:15 PM  
Blogger peacay said...

The 1/2 step might just be time. It publishes immediately which is the best part of beta by far. Images are actually more of a drag seemingly after the post has been made - more of a server thing I think - they seem always to take much longer to load the enlarged version.

I could go on with complaints (actually, I did but then decided to delete them). Nothing has annoyed me enough that I'd leave in a huff (or a limo even).

Rhetorical Q: I wonder can you use tags without making them visible to the public?

February 24, 2007 4:14 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

I think I've only done one image since Blogger updated me, and was surprised to find that it made me consent to some sort of license agreement for Picasa. This did not strike me as an improvement of any kind, of course. The image wasn't very big, so I can't say whether there has been any difference in loading time or publishing time.

A pity you trimmed your complaints as now I'm curious what else they were.

'Twould be kind of interesting to see if there was some way of making invisible categories, but would they do us any good? I do use one program that allows a hidden text option for notes to the user that aren't to print, etc., but I haven't actually tried that and it doesn't really relate to blogging. Or perhaps it could, that's what I'm wondering in my current befuddled way. You put text between certain codes.

February 24, 2007 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home