Sunday, March 25, 2007

Brands?

The Ephemera blog recently came up with a "me--not me" bit regarding the brands that describe us. Since I rarely think in terms of brands, I was surprised how the idea grabbed me, but then maybe it was because it started off with less brand-related things like rye bread being Jewish and white bread being goyish.
Like Ephemera, I have to say I am Guinness, not Bud, but I don't think I could narrow down my brands of Czech beer.
I am Tom's of Maine, not Crest or Colgate (and that's fennel, mind you, with the propolis and myrrh).
I am Dr. Bronner's, not Irish Spring.
After that, it gets pretty tough. Am I Mattoni or Bonaqua? Olma, Hollandia Selský, or one of those other yogurts? It is pretty hard to think of much where I have a brand preference, although in some things there are brands I will countenance and others I will probably not. In other things, I can only think of one brand, although doubtless others must compete. Do Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, Br'er Rabbit Molasses, and C&H Brown Sugar have competitors? Presumably, but I've never heard of them.
Sounds to me like time for a dose of Becherovka.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

I was Tom's of Maine until they sold themselves to Colgate... ;( Now I'm searching for an adequate replacement.

March 26, 2007 9:13 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Oh, and yes there are competitors for those things. Grandma's Molasses. Various brown sugars (e.g., Domino). Baking Soda is harder, but it is out there.

March 26, 2007 9:14 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I am shocked to hear about Tom's of Maine. However, the fennel taste is still better than all those fake-mint flavors. I could go back to Aim, though. Gel seemed preferable to paste. Those standard toothpastes always repulsed me.

And of course there are competitors to the famous food brands, but they aren't in my head. Successful advertising, I guess. Back in my childhood, no doubt, when I actually paid attention.

March 26, 2007 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home