Sunday, April 29, 2007

The End of Class

Whatever my complaints about my Czech class, I do think a few more case endings have now stuck in my head. And I never had any complaints about my classmates! They have been a very congenial group. Several of us formed a habit of going out for beer and supper every Tuesday after class, and after our final class session, the whole class except for one rather shy person went.
We and the next class down (who joined us at the pub) were thoroughly international, representing Portugal, Spain, Austria, Hungary, Russia, Belarus, Turkey, and possibly elsewhere. I was the only American.

Clara, Esther, and me.

Ozgur and one of the Spanish students. Notice the food. This restaurant is very popular with students because its portions are gigantic. One entree will generally feed two or three people. They also have a lot of snack-type offerings which are a meal in themselves.

Our Portuguese dentist, Spanish student, and Ozgur.

Irina, Zana, Henrique, and Ozgur.

The whole gang.

Esther, Rita, and Clara. These three, who knew each other from a previous course, brought all the rest of us together.
I find that (in an international situation, at least) the classmates are the most important element of a language class. Some teachers are better than others, or more congenial, but the tone of the class depends most on the group's interpersonal dynamics. A group that enjoys conversing together and practicing outside of class makes all the difference.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Gee--you had quite a few hotties in that class. Woof! (Excuse me, but it is spring.)

I hope you are enjoying your visit with your parents!

April 30, 2007 3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home