Thursday, July 19, 2007

Amnesia

One of the fine things that Cesar, John, Monica, and I encountered on the Fourth of July was the band Gaucho playing at a small bar on Valencia called Amnesia. There was no cover charge and there were some very fine dancers.
Since both Cesar and I are fond of dancing, we decided we ought to give this another try. Although we tried to persuade John, Steve, Megan, Monica, and I'm not sure just who all else to come along, they couldn't get themselves together. Megan at least at the sensible excuse that staying up late on a Wednesday night did not go well with rising early in the morning for her newish job in the scintillating nonprofit sector. (Cesar has an even newer job, also in the nonprofit world, but being somewhat older I suppose he is less concerned about these things, although similarly reluctant to stay up very late.) In any case, Cesar and I were the only ones to hie ourselves down to Amnesia last night.
The place was packed and overflowing, and the band was taking a break. I was a little uncertain that we would manage to find space to dance once the band returned, but we did manage to squeeze ourselves in. Gaucho consists of (at least) an accordion, guitar, clarinet/saxes, bass, and drums, and they play a very danceable mix of stuff which I'm not entirely sure how to categorize. They seem to attract a mostly under-40 crowd of friendly-looking characters and I felt quite at ease. Due to the lack of space, one could hardly help running into other dancers, but everyone was very pleasant about it. My dance skills, which don't get all that much practice, mostly returned to me within a few minutes.
I am hesitant to recommend that anyone else try to squeeze themselves in, but it was very enjoyable and I hope to go back next week.
As for today, nothing whatsoever has been done on my dissertation because I was due at the dentist at 10:00, went from thence to Greenwich Yarn, met John for lunch and other entertainments, after which we went over to compile his parents' medications for the coming week (I am glad that my parents can handle their own medications), and so on and so forth. We still have hopes of working on the Janáček duet that I was carrying around in my backpack all spring, so John lent me a recording to work with since I don't have a piano... Yes, Julia, we are moving slowly on this project, are we not? And Megan is supposed to wend her way over for supper and whatnot...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Yarn? Did you say yarn?

July 20, 2007 7:41 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Yes, and maybe someday I'll even do something with it!

July 24, 2007 4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home