Saturday, August 25, 2007

Pittsburgh Attained

The Spotted Pair and I reached Pittsburgh yesterday afternoon, entirely without meteorological incident despite the deposit of excess rain in many parts of the midwest. While towns hither and yon flooded and unfortunate persons were carried away and drowned, we encountered nothing of the sort during the midwestern portion of the journey.
Instead, we visited my friends Deanna, Jesse, and Brad, so there was considerable talk of dissertations and other Czech-related matters, and even of non-Czech personal matters. Deanna was my roommate one summer in Prague, Jesse was in my Czech class the following summer and of course also had a Fulbright grant for the Czech Republic when I had Fulbright-Hays, and Brad and I have known each other for eons (that is to say, since undergraduate days) but his visits to Prague have not coincided with mine. I may perchance say more of these visits when I have a chance to use my own computer (or I may not).
The new apartment seems all right, but the carpet-cleaners hadn't shown up by the time I did, so no one knows when the carpets will be sanitized and this means I would do well not to cover them with boxes and furniture. I also don't really want to have to capture the rabbits when the carpet-cleaners finally show up, so Orion and Calypso Spots are mostly confined to the kitchen, causing Ms. Spots to favor me with still more renditions of her now much-practiced baleful gaze. She is not disgusted all the time, however. She settled down considerably when we stayed at Jesse's and both rabbits got rather flopsy and rolled around comfortably on the floor. They also managed to push open the X-pen when Brad and I were out dining, so I live in fear that Brad will discover someone has chewed on a valuable puppet or other item. (Brad did not seem too worried. Like Deanna and Jesse, he was welcoming to the long-eared types and has nicknamed them Rorschach I and II.)
As it is likely that my parking meter has expired, I believe I must depart the library and return to the apartment, laden with miscellaneous items such as a mini-vacuum, a bag of hay, and a carpeted item designed for cats that might please a couple of long-eared, short-tailed cats.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Great description of the spotted pair "long eared, short tailed cats!" They are related, but oh so different as well.

August 26, 2007 8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love hearing about the cranky rabbits. I have traveled with rabbits too. They usually lighten up after a day or so, but I have suffered sustained judgment. Hang in there!

August 28, 2007 6:13 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Fortunately the long-eared cats are settling in, or at least diverting themselves, now.

August 28, 2007 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home