Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Down in Studio Arts

It's end-of-semester time, and downstairs in Studio Arts there are quite a few interesting pieces on display. These wire portraits, for instance. The last time I did any kind of wire sculpture (well, I guess the only time) was in fourth grade, when by some happy accident I managed a human figure that stood up without external aid. I like the idea of doing profile portraits in wire.
These large-size exquisite corpses are also quite fun. At least one of them (I'm not sure which) is based on mythological themes.
As the exquisite corpse (picture or literary effort composed by several people who can't see what the other participants are doing) is a surrealist specialty, I might consider assigning exquisite-corpse making should I end up teaching art history mainly to studio arts students. Or even if I don't. I like the idea of hands-on comprehension of what artists were dealing with.
Exquisite corpse, due to its additive nature, could even be worked into discussion of collage, although of course there is no shortage of potential collage projects to assign to people studying modernism.
This sculpture greets us at the foot of the stairs.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

You have been officially tagged.

We used to do "exquisite corpses" at parties with a folded up piece of paper. The first pop culture reference I ever saw of the game was in the 14971 film Sunday Bloody Sunday. One of Glenda Jackson's best films.

December 09, 2007 3:49 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

I think I'll have to respond to the tag after the Spotted Pair and I get to California... unless of course there's free wifi at the airport!

Ah, Glenda Jackson. She was always one of my favorites.

December 11, 2007 3:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home