Sunday, March 09, 2008

Computer Shopping Is Annoying

Now that Spring Break is here, I've had a little time to ponder the inevitable new laptop. The one I have has continued to be (somewhat) usable, but the screen can be pretty hard to read and randomly changes color and brightness. Another user informs me that in his/her case, this proved to be due to motherboard failure. Well, that was hardly what I wanted to hear. My last laptop died of motherboard problems, only in that case they masqueraded as hard drive trouble. I really don't claim to understand anything about motherboards except that they don't seem to be replaceable on laptops.
After a good deal of hunting around and reading of reviews and suchlike, I decided that the Lenovo X61t sounded like just the thing. It has excellent reviews and people describe it as both light and sturdy. To be sure, there were difficult decisions to make: Vista or XP Tablet; an external CD/DVD drive, or the "unibase" that allows you to pop in CD/DVD drive, second hard drive, second battery, blah blah blah. The fact that I do have a second hard drive inclined me toward the unibase, although come to think of it I don't know what size hard drive it fits, only that it's a SATA connection and I'll have to look up whether my second hard drive is SATA or PATA. (I knew when I bought it, but my memory has only recorded the pondering of SATA versus PATA, not the result.)
Part of what led me to the Lenovo was the fact that I can get a significant student discount. My attempts to order the thing online, however, have been a complete failure. Never mind a few small problems, the main thing seems to be that Lenovo objects to shipping to an address different than the billing address.
Well, I can understand their caution, but then why can't I change the shipping address to match the billing address? Every time I try to do this, the whole thing stops dead. This is ridiculous. What if my billing address were a P.O. Box? No one ships to a P.O. Box. What if I lived in a notoriously insecure building? Fortunately, we have pretty good package handling here, barring one incident in which the package never showed up.
I suppose I will have to call in the morning and complete the order by phone. I really just wanted to get the whole thing over with so that they can start building the thing and ship it out.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

If you have any choice in the matter stay as far away from Vista as you can!! Brian and Dave can tell you all kinds of horror stories about it. (As can most of the PC users who have tried the thing.)

March 10, 2008 2:22 AM  
Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Vista is not too bad. It's not that great, either. You should get a UNIVAC.

March 10, 2008 2:22 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

I'm going for XP Tablet. I don't think a UNIVAC would run my software, thank you very much. (Why must it sound like a vacuum cleaner?)

March 10, 2008 3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cut the mustard and get a Mac.

March 12, 2008 1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home