Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Efforts at Decorating Go Astray Yet Again

A good many years ago my friend Betty gave me quite a nice print called "Island of Used Nudes," which sat around awaiting a frame since framing is so bloody expensive. But since I have a spot of wall in this apartment that seemed just destined for this particular print, I decided it was time for another venture into expensive decorating, and went and got the thing framed.

The result was considerably heavier than I expected, so I put off trying to hang it and set the framed print right back where it had been sitting unframed. Finally I happened to be home during the afternoon (the only time when there is enough light in the living room to contemplate doing anything there other than petting rabbits), and felt one of those mad rushes of home decoration welling up. I grabbed my hammer and decided that I would probably need two picture hangers.
Said picture hangers wanted to bend up, and then one of them fell off, taking a good chunk of plaster with it.
I am not sure (after all, I've never had trouble nailing into these walls before), but I suspect there is concrete behind a thin coating of plaster.
I guess this means that now I need to hang up a length of fabric or something with double-stick tape to cover up the hole, and keep propping up the picture on the bookcase as before. So much for getting any more books onto that top shelf...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

I have a drill. And a concrete bit. Just sayin'.

February 13, 2008 11:32 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Yep, combined with a concrete anchor and a screw, that hanger will be set for life. And you know I'm not a handy person!

February 14, 2008 8:40 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I may be after these exciting tools when I get back from CAA. Or after the end of the month.

February 16, 2008 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home