Sunday, February 08, 2009

Things That Don't Work as Expected

Ah yes. Am I attracting undesirable magnetic or other forces? The phone ceased to work right around the time I expected that calls about job interviews might reasonably begin to come in (borrowed phone has not gotten any such calls, to be sure). The car first acted as though it was out of gas when I knew it had over a quarter of a tank, and now it additionally behaves as though it has a dead battery (it has not sat that long, surely). As of today, after some weeks of observation, I have concluded that certain Port Authority buses just don't run despite remaining on the schedule, meaning that one can stand around in the cold for nearly an hour wondering why none of the advertised buses have shown up. And now all of a sudden the laptop doesn't want to recognize that it's plugged in. It was happily plugged in upstairs in the library, but of course there the wifi wasn't working so I couldn't look up the bus schedule.
There had better not be anything wrong with the laptop cord. I have been strenuously keeping it away from Orion, but all it takes is the right test-bite.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please accept my condolences on the state of technology in your life.

Travis

February 09, 2009 5:47 AM  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

Does the academic life agree with you? I know that you are reaching full immersion so maybe it's late to ask. lol

February 09, 2009 8:44 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

The good news: the laptop seems fine outside of my office (which leaves us the question of why the outlet there is intermittently dead), and on the whole the academic life agrees pretty well with me.

The bad news: academic life is an intense immersion at the outset, when all or most of the courses are being put together and there's all that article-writing and job-hunting to do.

February 09, 2009 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home