Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Archival Invertebrates

This afternoon I was sitting contentedly at the archive actually writing about some of Nezval’s diaries rather than merely attempting to transcribe sections (I believe I was comparing what he wrote there to the way he described the same events in Ulice Gît-le-Cœur), and thus I was only occasionally looking at the paper diary.
Eventually, however, I wanted to check something in the diary, and discovered to my horror that somehow a WORM had found its way onto the page! I suppose that technically it was a larva or caterpillar, since it looked exactly like the kind of worms one finds in fruit. Where this worm came from remains a complete mystery since the other researchers were working diligently and were not wandering by flicking worms at Nezval, and there was a hot lamp shining over the pages, unlikely to have been the home of young worms. Nor had I ever (fortunately!) seen other worms crawling around in the carton of Nezval’s diaries.
Lacking any better ideas, I tore a piece of paper off a museum ticket and removed the worm to a wastebasket in the next room, although if I had been thinking clearly I would simply have flung it out the window.
It is to be hoped that no more worms take an interest in my archival materials.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Tfoo, tfoo, tfoo! (Magical Russian charm to ward off evil.)

November 29, 2005 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home