Tuesday, January 03, 2006

On Holiday Time (or not)

While the rest of the world (mostly) has gone back to work, my brain is still largely on holiday time, which means my mind is on food, conversation, walks, and other simple pleasures. Thus, the leek-and-potato soup was made and has partly been eaten (there was a lot of it), I won a game of Scrabble, and Jesse and I watched Divoké včely and Pupendo. (Which I should describe, but am too holiday-like to bother.) This afternoon we decided to finish off the pie before Jesse caught the train (or bus, as the case may be) back to Brno.
Unfortunately I seem to have allowed a chip of plum pit into the pie; there was a great CRUNCH and next thing I knew, I felt quite certain that I had cracked yet another tooth.
This put a damper on my mood, as it seemed much more significant than the piece I had lost before Christmas and was planning to have fixed in the New Year.
I had to decide where to take my crumbling mouth. My mental preference was to go to an ordinary Czech dentist of some sort, but on an emotional level this just didn’t work. I can’t stand novocaine, which seems to exacerbate any existing pain rather than numbing it, and I’ve been going to the same dentist since I graduated from college. I felt an English-language dentist was required.
And so, I’ve been to the dentist and learned—just as I suspected—that I finally have to get a crown. She was a little skeptical of going without anesthetic, but when I told her that I had had nearly all my fillings done without it and had a wisdom tooth pulled in the same manner, she said we could give it a try.
We will see if I can manage not to break any more teeth before I go in for my crown on Friday.

Filed under:

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger HistoryGeek said...

Well, except for the breaking of teeth, it sounds like a lovely holiday day!

Thanks for the comment on my post! It's always good to see new faces. Drop by anytime.

January 04, 2006 7:21 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Thanks, yes, it was largely good. Very best New Year's wishes to you and hope things improve rapidly.

January 04, 2006 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home