Sunday, April 16, 2006

And How Old Did You Think I Was?

As a group of us gathered last night to celebrate Megan's birthday (more on this topic from Jesse), the topic of age came up, though in a light-hearted manner (not, for instance, whether Kelly and I are ancient yet). Alex had brought her video camera, so she interviewed the birthday girl about her new age and the rest of us about what we were doing when we were that age. At first I couldn't even remember, but then I realized that it had been quite a significant year for me. (That's what advancing age will do to a person, you forget when you did important things. I just hope it's not early-onset Alzheimer's, as that would wreak havoc with my dissertation.)
At some point later on, Hubert mentioned that his mother, whom I met when she came to town for his concert, had been under the impression that I was younger than he is. This seemed quite incredible to me. I hope I didn't say anything exceptionally immature when the three of us were having dinner together.
However, this prompts me to present a new absurd quiz for your delectation. Perhaps there is even something to it, as it might help explain why places started carding me again two weeks before I turned forty. Or is grad school to blame? (Then again, there's always the Dorian Gray hypothesis.)

You Are 26 Years Old

Under 12: You are a kid at heart. You still have an optimistic life view - and you look at the world with awe.

13-19: You are a teenager at heart. You question authority and are still trying to find your place in this world.

20-29: You are a twentysomething at heart. You feel excited about what's to come... love, work, and new experiences.

30-39: You are a thirtysomething at heart. You've had a taste of success and true love, but you want more!

40+: You are a mature adult. You've been through most of the ups and downs of life already. Now you get to sit back and relax.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

I think it helps that you are small and have youthful skin. I wouldn't have figured out how old you are if it hadn't been for occasional references like "high school in the 70s." BTW, the quiz also says I'm 26, but I don't buy it! Until the past couple of years people always assumed I was older than my years.

April 16, 2006 8:46 PM  
Blogger morskyjezek said...

Well, I still turned out younger than everyone so far--23. It must be my slight frame and youthful complexion. Or perhaps it was that I wanted to run outside and play after having lunch with my friends. Well, why not?

More revealing would have been if lunch consisted of corn dogs or pb&j sandwiches. I'll have to remember to order that next time at Cafe Radost (they had it, just under some fancy name).

April 17, 2006 1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

31 - hmmmm. Less than half my age.

April 17, 2006 11:34 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

Well, the quiz doesn't ask about our looks, just what we like to do or how we feel about doing it. But attitudes ultimately influence one's appearance, if not quite as drastically as hard labor.

April 19, 2006 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home