Saturday, April 29, 2006

BibliOdyssey

Anyone who loves art and beautiful books should hasten to BibliOdyssey. This splendid blog posts scans of old book illustrations and reports on the artists and on sites such as the NYPL Digital Gallery, which recently won an award for Best Research Site and now hosts (at least) 450,000 images.
While book art is not the main focus of my research, I have always been extremely fond of it and occasionally write about it (a paper on Bilibin's illustrations of Russian fairytales comes to mind, although I don't think my paper was nearly as interesting as the subject). For that matter, I find periodical design and advertising interesting as well. My most recent paper looked at how Christian Mayr's 1838 Kitchen Ball at White Sulphur Springs (an artist and painting about which I will eventually write more) relates to the popular visual culture of its day and especially to sheet music covers.
In the meantime, back to Toyen and the rest of the Czech avantgarde...

Filed under:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, and interesting!

May 02, 2006 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home