Thursday, December 07, 2006

Budapest by Night

The trip to Budapest was primarily music-related; the cimbalom is an instrument popular in Hungary as well as Moravia, so Jesse had some errands to take care of there. Since I had never been to Budapest, I went along. We stayed with an acquaintance of Jesse's who collects folk music in the Carpathians, but around sundown the first night we wandered around the neighborhood and saw the following and other sights.

A large museum (sorry, did not end up going inside).

Another large museum. We went into the lobby as it was closing.

Monumental statuary between the two museums.

Skaters near the pseudo-castle (built in the 1890s or thereabouts, not visible in this photo). I rather hoped to go skating but this did not happen. I don't know whether there were even skate rentals (Prague has opportunities to skate but apparently no skate rentals).

The circus, which dates back to I'm not sure when. I did not have any special desire to go in, but at dinner I heard it was worth checking out.

And let us not forget the baths. Jesse and I were looking forward to trying the thermal baths, even though Megan had assured us that they were full of fat, hairy old Hungarian men. Each day we rather hoped to make it to one or another bathing establishment, but this never happened. Sunday night (when I took this photo) we didn't have bathing suits with us and were expected back for dinner. Tuesday night we poked our noses into the Gellert bath lobby but were told they were closed. Admittedly, we weren't prepared to bathe then either, but at least we had a little more time to kill before dinner.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Hungarians wear bathing suits in their baths?

Budapest is lovely, I'm glad you got a chance to enjoy it!

December 08, 2006 3:37 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Well, according to our sources, at least some of the baths require suits. I don't remember whether that included the ones that fit our schedule best (that is to say, allowed women at the beginning of the week).

December 08, 2006 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home