Sunday, June 24, 2007

Pie and Such

One of my initial tasks upon settling in at my parents' was to make pie out of some of the plethora of apricots in production out in the back yard. My mother indicated that she hoped it would not be as intense a pie as the one she had recently made from them, so I contemplated what might be done (other than adding ice cream to the final product). The successful offering largely followed the instructions for apple pie on the back of the tapioca box, which is to say 3/4 cup of sugar and 2 tbsp tapioca. Having mixed that with the apricots, I added pieces of one orange and a sprinkling of raspberries (which happened to be on sale). The pie has now been devoured and perhaps my mother will make some more crusts (otherwise I might have to make my own or else rely, as usual, on the premade kind) so I can make another one.


Subsequent to the pie-baking I went off to San Francisco, where Cesar and I went to hear Cuban music (Tito Gonzalez y su son) at the so-called Secret Garden (a secluded neighborhood garden). Our admission fee entitled us to go to an after-party at the Red Poppy Art House, but we were hungry and I was a little jet-lagged still, so we didn't get around to that.
I might add that on Friday morning Cesar made a live appearance reading his poetry on Lighthouse internet radio. We thought he read very well. The program will be repeated several times, but I'm not sure where I wrote down the times and dates.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

A PREMADE CRUST??!! {swoon, thud}

June 25, 2007 6:57 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Come on, you know I'm not as much of a purist chef as you are. Sometimes I use pumpkin pie mix too.

June 26, 2007 5:10 AM  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

it's so funny to hear you blog about berkeley as i live here! frankly in 40 years i've never gotten used to the gold hills; i still prefer them green.

well, welcome!

June 28, 2007 2:19 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Well, you know, having lived most of my adult life near Berkeley, every now and then I have to reassess what it's like. And most of my readers don't know the area like we do.

June 28, 2007 3:06 AM  
Blogger lotusgreen said...

i think you really describe, and picture, it well.

June 28, 2007 3:32 AM  
Blogger morskyjezek said...

Yes - after lifting myself back onto my chair in the cafe, I second Kristen. Now that you're back in the US there isn't even the excuse of working out the metric conversions, etc. After all our Prague crusts!?

July 02, 2007 8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home