Thursday, December 06, 2007

Peak Direction

Why is it that now that the snow has begun, I can wait endlessly during rush hour to get the 71A bus home while about three 71C buses go by? The 71A is a pretty major bus route, after all, and even when it runs frequently, it tends to be full.
I'd also like to know why I always seem to end up on a bus with at least one screaming child, a phenomenon that makes me wonder why it is that Czech toddlers seem to be so uniformly well-behaved on public transit. (There was, to be sure, Samko, but Samko was a happy child.)
If there are answers anywhere to such Pittsburgh transit questions, they are likely to be found on the new blog Peak Direction, which covers Pittsburgh and other transit in loving detail. Other matters get mentioned, too. Check it out.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Thanks for visiting my new blog. I live on the 71A too, and have noticed a few things. They bunch up together like no other line I've seen and I can't determine why. I even knew to let the first one pass me by yesterday because it looked like a can of sardines. 30 seconds later, one with 7 people on it picked me up. I'll be exploring this issue soon.

In addition, I'll give you a sneak peek up an upcoming post: have you every tried the new automated phone system? It's called Let's Go! You can try it at 412-268-3526. It's an experiment of Carnegie Mellon University. You call it and say "I'd like to go from Forbes and Stanwix to Centre and Negley" and it will tell you when the next schedule bus is. It's pretty neat.

December 09, 2007 2:47 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

The 71A is a truly bizarre line. I'm glad to hear you'll be investigating its mysteries.

I'll have to check out Let's Go! Sounds like what we need on weekends and late winter nights.

December 11, 2007 3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home