Wednesday, May 28, 2008

An Additional Roommate

This morning while I was brushing my teeth, the rabbits settled outside the door in the hallway, as they frequently do when determined to get more petting. I was about to join them when I realized that there was a LARGE BUG in front of Orion (not that this seemed to bother him in the slightest).
I didn't find it ugly, but I had never seen its like, which made me nervous. It was at least an inch long and was multicolored with all sorts of feathery-looking appendages. So, being brought up to attack first and ask questions later, I tried to dispose of it, but as I didn't know whether it would bite, I wasn't very fierce and it ran away into the closet with astounding speed.
It didn't look like any centipede I had ever seen, but a little research indicates that it is in fact the kind of centipede most often found indoors, and that so long as it stays out of your way, it's a very beneficial creature. It eats things like ants and bedbugs. Now I grant that, fortunately, I have no ants or bedbugs or indeed pretty much any other insects in the apartment, but I'd love to make sure that any remaining carpet beetles are exterminated, so I think that the centipede is welcome to continue living in the closet. They do bite, so I hope it stays out of the bedroom.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

I find one of those creepy house centipedes in my apartment about once a year. I don't care about their bug-eating propensities, I squash them. I try to "liberate" most insects that find their way into the house, but they and cockroaches (fortunately I've never seen a one of those in this apartment) are on my immediate removal list. {shudder} I'm sure it is some atavistic reaction.

May 29, 2008 6:30 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

That thing looked like the infrastructure of a bug! I'd remove too I think, just on the biting feature alone.

May 29, 2008 11:00 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

My understanding is that they're shy and that there's not much chance of getting bitten (they're sold in Japan as pets). The bite is only significant if a person is allergic to bee stings, which I'm not.

I don't think they look especially creepy, just surprising when you haven't seen one before. Mine was handsomer than the one in the photo, although clearly the same species.

May 29, 2008 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home