Friday, May 09, 2008

Jan Kotěra

For various reasons, mainly procrastination regarding finishing up my next conference paper, I have been spending the week working on syllabi for the classes I might be teaching next year. There have, however, been some other entertainments. For one thing, the week-long Greek Food Festival at Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral (practically next door to the Fine Arts building). And also discovering that the library apparently acquired some new books on Czech art while I was in Prague, like a hefty and gloriously illustrated volume on the early modernist architect Jan Kotěra. I think I could be content living in a Kotěra villa.

Design for the Elbogen Villa, 1905

The Národní dům (National House) in Prostějov, 1905-7--theater entrance

The Sucharda villa

The Sucharda villa, interior

The Sucharda villa, interior

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Yeah, I could handle the Sucharda villa. ;)

BTW, have you seen that the Carnegie has acquired a piece by Vlastislav Hofman?

May 10, 2008 7:41 PM  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

These are interesting photos of a part of the world mostly unknown to me. I am wondering what classes you might be teaching?

May 11, 2008 6:41 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I will definitely have to go in search of the Hofman piece. (Note: I have an entire book on his work!)

As for the classes, for various reasons they have yet to be finalized, but it is probable I'll be doing Intro to Modern and American Art in the fall and possibly something Czech in the spring.

May 11, 2008 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home