Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Election Oddities

I will be turning in the drastically shortened (?) version of my dissertation next Monday, in time for my advisor to either (we speculated) soak it in blood or in champagne. We would prefer the latter. I really don't want to learn that she has committed hari-kiri or a related act over the election returns.
Meanwhile, my new Voter ID card has arrived; I was persuaded to register in Pennsylvania on the grounds that it is a swing state. So far so good, but why does it say I am a Republican? This bit of misidentification could cause someone to attack me at my local polling place. I did not, on my registration, claim to be any such thing, although I did consider saying I was Independent.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Woo-hoo! Almost done!

I'm scared about the elections. That is truly bizarre about your card. You have to pick something for an affiliation, maybe you just ticked the wrong box? I'm having nightmares about the infamously poorly designed butterfly ballot now...

October 29, 2008 4:42 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Hurrah about the dissertation!! How shortened?

Weird about the card. I'm having nightmares about what the Republicans are going to try to pull at the last minute. I think we're definitely staying up all night for this one!

October 29, 2008 9:18 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I don't see how I could have picked the wrong box on the registration form. But anything is possible. I don't have a copy of it.

How short? Well, she wants 200 pages but admitted yesterday that 300 would be ok. And for that matter the deal is simply that I cut whatever I can manage and turn in whatever I've done. She wants some bits moved around so I have to leave time to figure that out, assuming that I don't cut those bits.

It's a lot easier to write 200 pages than to cut that much. It has to continue to make sense, after all.

October 29, 2008 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home