Saturday, October 04, 2008

The Mid-Semester Is Upon Us

Fall has fallen upon us. We're no longer having the early-fall combination of warm days and cool nights; in the last two or three days the temperature has plunged. It's that Pittsburgh moment of switching from sleeveless garments and the occasional T-shirt to long-sleeved shirts, sweaters, and at times a down jacket.
I like fall, but I don't do well with this kind of sudden shift. Time to take plenty of vitamins and sleep a lot.
The change of season, however, coincides with a need to step up the energy on nearly everything. I've got two journal articles due October 15 (one a revision, one a requested submission), a conference paper proposal to think through, 40 essay-midterms to grade, two courses to finish putting together for next semester (the third, fortunately, is pretty much already done since it is just an update)... and I hear hints from my advisor that large amounts of the dissertation should be cut and saved for a book project.
Well, this should make clear why I decided I couldn't quite make it to this weekend's Lindy Hop workshop, which I was looking forward to after my a brief intro to the dance a couple of weeks ago. I feel aggrieved, as once I get out onto the dance floor, I don't want to stop. Evidently I am destined (for the foreseeable future) simply to work on my West Coast Swing skills, although I did get an invitation from one fairly advanced Lindy dancer to embark on practice sessions.
There is never enough time to do everything. But at least the new journal article is starting to look like something other than a mass of dissertation fragments.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Midsemester already! Here Will just taught his first class. I'm having a good time following it this year because he's running it via blog, but so far no podcasts. Do you by any chance have a blog for yours to read through?

October 04, 2008 11:49 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

Well, it's early in the midsemester. My other class doesn't have its midterm for another week.

The courses don't have blogs; they're all in Blackboard, which is pretty much only accessible to those who are enrolled. I think there's some sort of Observer status, but I don't know whether that includes "external" people. I'd have to look in the manual.

October 05, 2008 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home