Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Goodbye Autumn

All right, here are those fall photos that I have been meaning to put up. I just hope they aren't impossible to load for people on dial-up connections.



From early October, when Věra and I went for a walk around Karlštejn.


And, also from October, from the hill behind my apartment.



Ivy on the neo-gothic castle at Lednice (Moravia), in later October.


A dramatic sky over the gardens at Lednice. I was not sure whether it might start to pour, which would have made the planned hike to Valtice rather nepřijemný.


Jesse and I sitting in front of some sort of memorial at Lednice before commencing to hike. There were some gorgeous plantings nearby, but no good place to put the camera near them. Remind me to carry the tripod in the future...


I am standing near one of the numerous rybníky (fish ponds) outside Lednice. In the distance, although not particularly visible in the photo, is a structure referred to as the Apollo chrám. Věra was quite baffled when I told her that there was a chrám between Lednice and Valtice, as the term normally means a cathedral. In this context, however, it referred to some sort of fake temple. There were quite a few pseudo-Greek and pseudo-gothic temples and chapels along the way, most of which I photographed, but there is not much fall color in the photos.


Woods somewhere between Lednice and Valtice.


More woods between Lednice and Valtice.


I always find dark woods enticing (but refrained from leaving the path).


The rest of these are all from Vyšehrad, the park and fortifications not far from where I live (and which were directly up the hill from the dorm where I stayed in the summers of 2003 and 2004. I took these at the beginning of November.








Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see the Lednice-Valtice area again. I was hoping you'd show the Three Graces in all their pagan glory. You know, I discovered there is a wine from Valtice named after them. :) BTW, the pictures didn't have any trouble loading, but they displayed funny when I read through the blog.

November 30, 2005 11:16 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

I might post the Three Graces and some of the other oddities separately. It did seem like I might be creating photo overload already, as I know that on dialup I hate when a search engine takes me to a blog with a million slow-loading images and that scrolls forever and who knows where the text I thought I wanted might be.

As for how the pictures displayed, I think that must depend on the browser. Maybe I should have centered all of them instead of only some.

December 01, 2005 12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home