Monday, February 20, 2006

Twisted Spoon Press

I have occasionally mentioned literary works by some of the writers Toyen knew in Prague. For the most part, these authors are not translated into English.
What with the large English-speaking expatriate population in the Czech Republic, some of which does read literature, publishers here are making a greater effort to bring out Czech literature in English translation.
While quite a few publishers do a little of this, Twisted Spoon Press is notable for specializing in contemporary and earlier Central and Eastern European literature (mainly Czech).
Some offerings I can recommend include:
the symbolist writer Otakar Brezina's Hidden History (on aesthetics and the role of art, broadly speaking)
Karel Hynek Mácha's 1836 poem May, in a bilingual edition
Edition 69, which is comprised of Nezval's Sexual Nocturne and Štyrský's Emilie Comes to Me in a Dream, plus an essay by Brouk
Nezval's surrealist novel Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (complete with polecat-vampire, grandmother, priests, changelings, etc.)
There is a full list of titles here.


2 Comments:

Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Hey Karla!

I know I am late in responding to this, and I blame it on the Olympics, and the fact that my computer was Highjacked by my new download of virus protection program. I just got it fixed last night.

1) I am a fairly regular reader, at least a couple times a week.
2) I found your blog looking for blogs from the Czech Republic as I spent some wonderful time there last summer and made some new friends. I would love to live there for some time and I'm currently laboring on learning to speak czech!
3) I just love all the stories of adventures around the country, the photos and anything relating to your work on your doctorate as I love art and love to learn. I would like more on your dissertation and research because it sounds very interesting.
4) I'm a social worker who completed her master in 2000 and just licensed last september. I currently live on the coast of California, roughly between San Francisco and Los Angeles. If I could, I would travel/live again to Europe, I felt very much at home there, particularly in the smaller towns. I also would like to pretty much go everywhere, we inhabit such a fascinating planet filled with wonders. Interests! Oof! Photography, music (listening, I unfortunately don't play anything, and my singing I reserve for the car, when I am alone), learning languages (czech will be the 5th), art (making and appreciating) reading, films, fitness and rabbits!
5) I have a blog: www.lilloup.blogspot.com, my blog name is P'tit Loup, which means little wolf and is what my dad used to call me when I was a child.

Thanks for the chance to introduce myself Karla! I love your blog.

February 20, 2006 8:03 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

I always enjoy hearing from you! It's a pleasure getting to know new people online who have similar interests and enthusiasms.

February 20, 2006 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home