Thursday, July 13, 2006

Prague vs California

Of late it has been oppressively hot, the sort of weather that immediately causes one to stick wetly to all surfaces encountered and which finds me suffering from a sort of ongoing headache all day long. (I am not normally prone to headaches.) Not surprisingly, I am not getting much done in any sphere of existence.
But... on Friday I will be returning to California for about two months of re-Americanization. In less than 48 hours, Ms. Spots will be getting rabbit massage!

Some things I am looking forward to:
Hanging out with Ms. Spots (and others, most of them human)
Eating high-quality Chinese and Thai food
Cooler weather
Use of a clothes dryer

Some things I am not looking forward to:
Wearing a sweater the rest of the summer except for when I venture to places like Davis and Palo Alto, or, heaven forbid, Los Angeles
The high price of BART tickets and gasoline
Jury duty

Things I will miss about Prague:
Sleeping in a bed
The tram service
Czech food
Rain and green plants

Filed under:

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Wearing a sweater in summer?!

Anyway, happy travels! Pet the spotted one for me.

July 13, 2006 11:49 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Sleeping in a bed? Have a great trip and let us know when you are back!! Will you be blogging about rabbits while there?

July 13, 2006 11:57 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

Mark Twain is reputed to have said that he spent the coldest winter in his life one summer in San Francisco. So... sweater, then in the evening add jacket. Continue to feel much too cold.

As for the bed... well, usually I get to sleep on the couch since there is not an extra bed at my parents'. There will be rabbit news (and I have your Austen mysteries safe on the bookshelf here).

July 14, 2006 7:02 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I keep forgetting just how much more sensitive to cold you are than I.

July 14, 2006 11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When are you going to be in California? We’re going to be in Finland, and, briefly, Paris 7/21-8/19.

July 15, 2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

I'm back in California now. And I don't really think 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit counts as warm summer temperatures, whether one is cold-sensitive or not. But it's kind of pleasant after the Prague heat.

July 16, 2006 5:35 PM  
Blogger M.L. said...

I admire your devotion to the jury system. I myself would claim that I had been abducted by Czech terrorists, received a lobotomy, and was irrevocably prejudiced against defendants in matters as minute as whether they bite their nails. This is usually enough to get you off most juries, but who knows in the Bay.

July 18, 2006 3:29 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Well, I always get thrown off the jury as soon as chosen, but in Contra Costa County there is no unlimited postponement of service. I probably won't even have to mention Czech terrorists.

July 18, 2006 3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home