Thursday, August 03, 2006

Now What?

It seems as though every time I think things are settling down and beginning to go smoothly around here, I am promptly proven wrong.
I thought the old 100GB hard drive had been working just fine for quite a while, so I put it back into the old laptop in order to do things I couldn't otherwise take care of. Naturally it went back to sounding like it was at death's door.
I finally cleared everything off the 30GB drive and cloned my parents' drive onto it... but then discovered there seems to be no way to get their laptop open to swap drives. They may be stuck with their 10GB drive after all.
I ordered DSL service so that the online portion of life, at least, doesn't move at a glacial pace. Can't report on that yet.
Ms. Spots and Cami seemed to be getting along better, and Cami was enjoying all the attention from her three humans along with the various vegetable treats. She was proving to be a rabbit of vigorous appetite. My parents then went off for a little trip up the coast and I went out to lunch with a friend. When I returned, Cami seemed to be resting, and it was still a standard nap time, so I paid little attention. Around 7:00, my mother called to ask me to measure the kitchen window (!), and happened to inquire how the rabbits were. I said fine, and then realized it was about time they had an evening treat. Cami showed absolutely no interest in her treat, which was sorely different than her usual voracious habit of grabbing food out of one's hand. I rapidly realized that she wasn't feeling well.
Luckily, the vet's office hadn't closed yet, but they weren't taking any more clients this evening, so I made an appointment for the morning and got the number for the emergency vet in case that was needed. Cami has been sitting in the corner of her pen, not moving around much, and has actually permitted Ms. Spots to invade her territory and use her litterbox. I suppose this was a positive thing in its own way, especially since Ms. Spots did lick her forehead at one point in addition to devouring the treats, but I wasn't relying on Cami getting sick for them to finish the getting acquainted process. It is true that Dr. Spots was always very good at caring for George, but it seems like a stretch to expect her to take care of a rabbit she was recently trying to bite.
I suppose I will be sleeping on the floor tonight instead of in the vacated bed. Let's just hope Cami doesn't need to go to the emergency vet, as it is just about impossible to tell when that's necessary when the rabbit is just sitting there refusing to eat and looking uncomfortable. The situation could be anything from minor to life-threatening. (And this is only a day after the patient was happily bouncing around and climbing on top of her cage to look out the window...)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Cami is feeling much better soon! It is so hard when animals are sick, since they can't talk and give us any clues as to the seriousness of the situation.

August 03, 2006 4:21 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

I took her to the emergency vet last night. It sounds like she would have died within a few hours if I hadn't. Her kidneys may fail. She could pull through, or die in the next few hours. I am pretty depressed and not getting anything done. Ms. Spots has decided to spend the day under the back steps.

August 03, 2006 10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Waiting to hear from the vet clinic at these times is always quite hard. I hope you hear better news soon.

August 03, 2006 10:26 PM  
Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Sorry to hear that. I know rabbits are such delicate creatures, no wonder they are so prolific! Poor Cami, I hope she bounces back. What do you suppose brought on the situation? I remember my little Pita would get horrendous hairballs that would leave him sick and not eating for several days and it got worse as he got older. I know the heat is not kind on them either.

August 04, 2006 8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home