Thursday, July 27, 2006

Territorial Battles!

I regret to say that I was chosen for a jury today, which will make it difficult to attend the going-out-of-business sale at the local yarn store tomorrow. (Why this store is going out of business is a great mystery to me, as last summer it was always full of people.)
During my absence, the spotted members of the household got into yet another scuffle through the cage wire and my parents deemed it best to create separate areas for the two. Calypso Spots now has the living room while Cami has the kitchen and dining room. Not surprisingly, Ms. Spots was unhappy with this as she is accustomed to making significant use of all three rooms plus the back yard, but the living room is where we keep her food and litter box. Cami is hesitant about coming out of the cage at all, but after my mother put a rug in front of it, she has enjoyed several forays onto that.
The combatants disappoint their humans with their ferocity (Ms. Spots is primarily to blame here but of course she has gotten Cami nervous enough to attack unprovoked), but on the other hand, it is normal behavior and I have seen worse when the original rabbit was less easy-going than Ms. Spots. Calypso Spots only undergoes occasional frenzies, and usually calms down quickly if petted, while Cami does not go into any frenzies but does stand her ground fiercely. This is all in contrast to the now-deceased Penelope, who spent a month in a state of perpetual rage when I brought home George. Still, the fact that Ms. Spots is normally placid is rather deceptive. I was always careful around Penelope, but since I am not accustomed to any aggression at all from Ms. Spots, I have now gotten bitten twice (painfully but not at all seriously). It is hard to say whether she knows who she bit since she was in such a passion at the time. It is a good thing she will not be going on trial, as you never know how a temporary insanity defense will go over. (Cami, meanwhile, gave her a bloody nose.)
Fortunately, both rabbits are anxious to be petted when their minds aren't on warfare. While the bonding process has slowed lamentably, I am pretty sure they will still bond faster than is usual for a resident doe and a newcomer. Despite their naughtiness, they are both extremely nice nearly all the time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so interesting! I had no idea there can be such dramatic moments of jealousy between rabbits. All is sure to be fine within your calm, experienced hands.

July 27, 2006 5:55 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Rabbits tend to be very territorial, especially does. It was nice not having to deal with that when I got Ms. Spots, as she and George got along abnormally well right from the start.

It's a relief having my parents to help in the bonding process! My mother is very good at keeping the lop-eared one petted and calm.

July 27, 2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

It really is very interesting, I agree with Amy. Could the weather be making the rabbits more aggressive than usual?

July 28, 2006 12:41 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

It's very normal behavior, I'm afraid. If anything, they are calm more of the time than many rabbits would be.

July 28, 2006 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home