Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Procrastinating in Pittsburgh: Pieces of Pittsburgh

Let it be known that I have arrived safely in Prague, although I'm now wondering if I left my (new, prescription) reading glasses in the Frankfurt airport as a result of sleep deprivation. I went to Czech class (which proved to be merely registration and the kind of placement exam that I invariably do badly on) and will now have to settle in to finishing up the conference paper that I'm giving this weekend. Naturally I had planned to have it finished at least a couple of weeks ago, but my level of mental acuity has been unusually low of late and usually I would open the document and sort of stare at it, then cut a little more. It does need to be cut, but it also needs to put in a reasonable order and rewritten, as befits something created out of bits and pieces of dissertation culled from more than one chapter.
Anyhow, I spent most of last week in Pittsburgh having medical appointments and meeting with various people (professors, administrators, fellow grad students). Kristen was kind enough to put me up in her spare bedroom, and even picked me up at the airport and dropped me off at the train station. You can read Kristen's report on the Pittsburgh basics, complete with a photo of her street and house, at Procrastinating in Pittsburgh: Pieces of Pittsburgh. This certainly makes up for my failing to take any photos of Pittsburgh while there, or so I like to imagine.
My advisor, who rose from her sickbed to ply me with gin (well, this is a mild exaggeration but not entirely false), seemed generally pleased with my report of last year's research and recommends that I go ahead and spend all of this year in Prague unless there is some burning reason to do otherwise.
Since my brain aches and I still have to figure out my transportation to the aforementioned conference, I shall say no more for now.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back .. where are you taking Czech? Probably some perk you get with your Fullbright? I've been thinking of taking a class, but I'm not sure I can fit it in

September 12, 2006 10:36 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

I'm taking Czech at Albertov (UJOP). We shall see. Looks like I can't go to the first class on Thursday due to the weirdness of getting to London.

Once I'm back from conference-land we should actually meet sometime...

September 13, 2006 12:18 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Oh gee, the pressure to perform now! Glad to hear you are settled in Prague again. Sorry to hear about the missing glasses. Do we have to get you some chains?

September 13, 2006 4:36 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Welcome back! When you're back from the conference, let's go rollerblading before the babi leto disappears.

September 13, 2006 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I can't comment on a comment here?

Ti blahou, Albertov rocni kurz to stoji jen! 3 410 EUR. (97,185 Kc)

Hrozny drahy ... lepsi delat nejaky vymena vyuka ...

September 13, 2006 11:23 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Opravdu, roční kurs je hrozný drahy. Ale večerní kurs není velmi drahy.

Re glasses chains, I guess I would need them on both pairs since I was switching between them constantly. It would certainly look stupid. I've emailed the airport's lost-and-found.

Maybe rollerblade next Friday evening? Or during the day earlier... Cell phone is now on again.

September 14, 2006 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home