Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Czech Class Finds Beer and Fries

I have not said much about my Czech class, mainly because by the time I get there I am usually too tired to get very much involved in it. It's a good review and the classmates are nice.
Today, since it is the second-to-last day, we had a test, which seems to some extent focused on placing us should we continue. I am pleased to report that, unlike the regular placement tests they do, it is not a test that can be graded by placing the answer key over the thing and seeing which boxes weren't filled in correctly. It even had an essay section, which I'm sure I did better on than the fill-in-the-blanks since on the latter I always made dumb mistakes that make me wonder how I could have written something that I know perfectly well is wrong.
Afterwards, several of us went out for beer, for the first time. It would have been nice if we had started this earlier on, but I didn't have the energy to initiate it then. I think some of my classmates have also become much more confident about their speaking skills, too, so that, for instance, my three Mexican classmates no longer routinely lapse into Spanish but speak in Czech more and more often.
We had a nice time and plan to go out again after class on Tuesday.

2 Comments:

Blogger P'tit-Loup said...

Sounds like fun!

I have a workmate who will be going to Berlin, Prague and Vienna in two weeks. Is there anything you would recommend she sees while in Prague, other than the regular turist circuit of Stary Namesti and Castle? I know she is fond of folk music. Any good events?

Thanks in advance.

November 18, 2006 7:30 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Let me think about this. There is always some kind of music to be found... though Jesse is really the person to ask... one possibility is to get a copy of the Prague Post or of the monthly Přehled for music listings. And soon there should be Christmastime music of various sorts performed outdoors at S. nam. For seeing a diverse cross-section of Prague, taking the trams for long distances and back is always good.

November 20, 2006 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home