Friday, April 13, 2007

Signage in Brno

Now that it's getting green out there again, it seems like time to post these photos, which I took quite some time ago.

I was not certain why British second-hand clothing is considered especially desirable, but this is not the only shop to advertise it. I've since been told that any non-Czech (or, in Hungary, non-Hungarian) clothing is considered superior but that wherever it's from, it usually gets labeled as British. This strikes me as bizarre. I don't have a high opinion of the Czech fashion industry either, but apart from things like tweeds or 1960s Mary Quant, I wouldn't say British clothing was exactly anything to get excited about. Perhaps it's merely more durable than the Czech variety?

The photo doesn't show it very well (I wanted to get the full setting), but the German quality at the kitchen studio appears to have driven the young woman on the sign insane. Maybe there's a subtle anti-German message here?

Ad for a horror film? No, just looks like one. Believe me, I am staying far away from anyone with big oozy lips of bubble-gum pink.

And you thought that the Bauhaus was an early twentieth-century design school? Well, these days it's a chain of home-and-garden stores.

These signs are not particularly unique to Brno, but were merely photographed there.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Tell me the lips one is an ad for lip balm and not for extra-lubricated condoms!

April 15, 2007 5:48 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Lip balm? Surely you jest!

Actually I find that a much more repellent thought. The horror-lips would be much more likely to get me to buy condoms than to buy something that might make my lips look and feel so gross. I hate having anything gooey on my mouth.

April 15, 2007 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home