Sunday, April 08, 2007

Make Mine Chocolate

It's Easter. Orion, as a House Rabbit Society adoptee, reminds everyone not to buy baby rabbits as Easter surprises. Adopt a needy rabbit, or "make mine chocolate" as the campaign says. I didn't buy any chocolate rabbits this year, but we do have Orion chocolates in Prague!


And when I was in London, I saw this rabbit book in a publisher's window. It looked useful and I recommend it to UK readers.


(I considered getting a copy but decided I had too many other books in the backpack already. Wise move. They almost didn't let me on the plane back to Prague because now you can't carry anything in addition to your one piece of hand baggage. I mean, come on, the main reason I took a little overnight bag as well as the backpack was that I supposed I might buy a few books. But that was already full and checked when they told me I had to stuff my wallet into the backpack, which took about 15 minutes of repacking and donning of additional clothing. This must be how I lost my Prague transit pass.)
I suppose I should also have taken a look at how to teach dogs to read, but that seemed less practical than seeing whether the rabbit book offered good advice. Teaching dogs to read paled in comparison to another bookstore window in the neighborhood, which will shortly be featured...
Meanwhile, John suggests that perhaps I was a rabbit in a previous life. This could be true. Be as it may, I know that burying my face in Ms. Spots' fur always makes everything better... unless I'm experiencing one of those rare moments of fur sensitivity. Very rare. Even then, the unpleasant physical reaction is nothing compared to the good feeling of being close to a companionable rabbit.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Oh please enlighten me: What does horka mean? (Growing up we always used "hork" as word to describe a rude noise one makes when one has a chest cold.)

April 09, 2007 5:43 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

Hořký (á) means bitter, but in the context of chocolate it refers to dark chocolate. In Slovak the term is horký, which happens to mean hot or spicy in Czech. One of those odd small differences between the two... but Slovak doesn't have ř.

April 10, 2007 12:40 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

If my brain would have been on straight, I would have guessed that. Bitter in Russian is gor'kii. (Yes, the writer is Mr. Bitter.) Dark chocolate is gor'kii shokolad. Someday I'll figure out how to have all cylinders on my brain going at once.

April 10, 2007 9:20 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

I was a little surprised you had to ask, but of course the Russian word could have been entirely different.

Knowing about the G<=>H shift does enable me to grasp a surprising number of words in Russian films...

April 10, 2007 11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home