Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Horrible Spam!

Spam does have a way of coming in waves, but the latest wave appears to be gearing up to be a small tsunami. I checked my mail reasonably late last night, so I was STUNNED AND DISGUSTED to find, at 8:00 this morning, that there were 100 new emails of which 64 were spam.
I mean, I do get a good deal of genuine email via email lists and real people, but I can unsubscribe from email lists before I go out of town. This quantity of spam would clog up the works if I merely went away for a long internet-less weekend.
No, no, a thousand times no, I do not want to hear from those pretending to be Oprah, JC Penney, an anonymous airline, or my Love Guru.
Ah well, just think, when I return to the US I'll start getting physical junk mail again as well. Ms. Spots used to like to use that as a chew toy.

2 Comments:

Blogger lotusgreen said...

but wait! look at the bright side: you got 36 pieces of welcomed email in one day? that is very cool!

May 23, 2007 1:26 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

Well... there's a large gray area between "spam" and "welcomed." I'm sure a large percentage of the 36 non-spams will shortly be deleted as being of no interest whatsoever. There are a lot of conferences I can't or don't want to attend, jobs for people in other specialties, discussions about Russian translation problems (I don't know Russian), software problems I can't advise on, etc. This is the downside of being on special-interest email lists. But they aren't in any way spam.

May 23, 2007 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home