Saturday, May 19, 2007

But I'm Only Thinking Part of the Time

It's probably a law of nature that whenever a person produces a series of especially interesting blog posts (thought-provoking, gorgeous, or what-have-you), it coincides with regular readers going on vacation or getting too busy to read blogs, a drop in casual traffic, and a rise in people visiting only one's most banal and long-ago posts because one happens to have mentioned, generally only in passing, whatever it is they seek.
The corollary is that surges in traffic invariably happen when the blogger has not said anything remarkable just lately, or has posted fewer than usual interesting pictures, or recently said something fairly stupid.
While I wouldn't categorize the past week's posts as among my best-ever, I am glad to say that at least they're not bottom-of-the-barrel.
Since many new readers are stopping by, then, I suggest some of my own favorites, of diverse sorts and in no particular order.

We Speak With Guests (very, very silly)
And Now We Celebrate (team cooking in Prague)
More About Nezval (signs of actual dissertation research)
I Blame Jindřich Štyrský (dissertation research invades my dreams)
The Café Life (historic Prague cafés)
Rakovník in 2007 (photos of a most impressive home garden)
Calypso Spots Is Five (photos of Her Abundance and her mates, for those who like rabbits)
Fun With Hygiene (interwar journalism at its finest)
Graves of the Obscure and Forgotten (photos worthy of Halloween, but from the wrong time of year)
The Museum of Sex Machines (one of Prague's lesser amusements)
The Žd'ár nad Sázavou Adventure Part I, Part II, and even Part III (an attempt to go skiing near a UNESCO monument)
Bohuslav Brouk (Czech surrealist and his oeuvre)
Mistr Brno 2005, For Starters (present-day Czech journalism at its finest)
Silvestr at Karla's House of Pleasure (Fulbright grantees amuse themselves on New Year's Eve and Day)
Spring in Prague (photos)
Folk Dancers on Staromak (photos)
Cubist Houses (architectural photos)
Traditional Buildings in Kutná Hora (architectural photos)

Some of the page formatting looked peculiar when I was hunting these up, so I hope it was a temporary glitch and not something dreadful introduced by the new version of Blogger.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger morskyjezek said...

Oh, reading We Speak with Guests again was wonderful! That was certainly a highlight. It makes me miss the CR.

May 22, 2007 2:16 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I hope you and I aren't its only fans, but of course we may be, as it is our strange little concoction.

Well, I guess if you aren't coming here, I'll have to see you somewhere in the US this summer. Think about that ticket to SF!

May 23, 2007 11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home