One Down, More to Go
This was because:
1) the Microsoft Office that was restored onto my laptop required a code that I couldn't find;
2) I write the dissertation in Nota Bene but a good chunk of the proposal is in Word, thus Microsoft Office was needed;
3) the part that was written in Nota Bene needed to be saved to a PDF file so that I could print it at school where they don't have Nota Bene, and my Creative Suite (Acrobat) disks appear to be lost in the void;
4) the desktop computer does have Office and Acrobat Pro, but doesn't want to read my flash drive and my LapLink cable is probably destined to be sold at a postal auction;
5) Office 2007 took forever to install and then had to be reinstalled because it didn't show up on my system;
6) Office 2007 is so different from Office 2003 that very little one knows about how to use Word is valid, meaning that it took me forever to figure out how to insert the one footnote I needed to add, and then it gave it a Roman numeral which I could not figure out how to change to Arabic--something I certainly know how to do in Word 2003--so if a document that has several footnotes in Arabic numbering and one in Roman is a problem for the postdoc committee, well, I say they are picayune and should become professional proofreaders (one of my former careers, I might add);
7) I bought the latest version of Creative Suite, but only installed Acrobat and Photoshop, so when I tried to use Acrobat, I got a persistent error message telling me I couldn't use Acrobat until I had used one of the other programs in the suite, causing me to waste time opening Photoshop, clicking that I would register later, and closing Photoshop.
There was also some time wasted during the hour or so during which the wifi registered as "limited or no connectivity," which I gather is the library's problem rather than mine, but of course in practice I'm the one who suffers while waiting for it to work.
All that said, I was relieved to get the application into the mail and postmarked by 5:00.
And this morning I sat down and wrote up the next one...