Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Desk in Its Glory

After all this talk about my desk, I thought I would put up a photo of it before it is utterly invisible under mounds of stuff. (Well, actually, this really only shows the top of the desk, but so be it.)
It is a nice-enough looking item, and doesn't entirely clash with the superstructure from my previous desk. I was able to put it together all by myself in a five-hour span of time, which would have been more like two hours had Ikea's instructions been a little clearer. I spent a lot of time staring at the instruction sheet and trying to figure out which piece of wood it was referring to and which way the piece was supposed to go.
Yeah, it looks okay, seems reasonably sturdy, fits into the available space, holds the printer and the monitor, and has a keyboard tray almost large enough for both keyboard and mouse pad.
The alert viewer will note, however, that there is no space left for me to put the laptop, the scanner, or any pieces of paper larger than postcard size. (That's a graphics pad to the right, although I'm afraid someone recently chewed its cord.)
I'm not saying I'm surprised at the lack of place to put important items. No, it's no surprise at all because manufacturers of computer desks do seem to figure that the average user doesn't own any of the stuff sold in computer stores. Nobody would ever own a scanner, a headset, a graphics tablet, a printer, or a ream of paper. Certainly, no one would ever dream of spreading out their printed results. Well, okay, that's why most computer users probably just fill up the house with tables, assuming there is room for them. There is not room in my bedroom for much more than is currently there.
On the plus side, I'm quite pleased with the number of dictionaries and oversized art books I've managed to stow here and there on the desk. If I need to look up a word in Spanish or Italian (not languages much used in my research), it can be done. I did have to put the Norwegian dictionary somewhere else, though. After all, references relating to the Czech language take precedence on this desk.
Dr. Zaius will be glad to see, if he looks closely, a familiar blue-and-green object between the graphics tablet and the ipod. Gumby is still attached to his phone after all these years, although I do have to glue his leg on annually. It would be especially fine if I could also display Mama Valium Rabbit, but she hasn't been seen in many a year and I guess that just goes to show that it's not a good idea to hook up a nursing doe to a milking machine, no matter how lazy she is.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's obvious it's not a g33k desk:
Yesterday I decided to clean up what's around the pc, and i spent a long time to collect the +50 empty bottles of beer, hundreds of meters of cables, and some small connectors. But true, you have exotic hardware that nobody would think of using, not to talk about to spend money for it.

September 15, 2007 9:38 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

It might work if you move the printer to the top of the filing cabinet (I think you can get longer usb cables if it is a usb connection) and add another hutch to move your books out of the way and make way for the scanner. With the cpu it is a bit trickier but I keep mine turned sideways under my desk (elevated slightly and with a few inches at the back for circulation) and still have leg room. Good luck!

September 17, 2007 8:46 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

so glad to see that your Czech-English dictionary is front and center!

September 17, 2007 11:46 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

If I had my dream desk, it would have vastly more surface area for papers and whatnot, but that can't be done in the space available.

On Julia's fine suggestions, well, the cpu is already under the desk and not causing a problem space-wise, but I don't really think I want to have a printer that must weigh 60 lbs sitting above the top of my head (it is not usb but that's beside the point; the file cabinet is about my height). I already have a lot of books atop the file cabinet, in a temporary sort of way. And another hutch? Um, where? I am pretty excited to be able to have the books that handy, although I don't know how often I'll be consulting the ones that are too big to fit in the bookcase.

September 20, 2007 4:55 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Good points all! You know with computers I'm inclined to be opinionated because its my business ;-).

Glad to see you back blogging even if only intermittently. Here's hoping the health desk will have you up and running in no time!

September 21, 2007 8:42 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I was, of course, hoping that Julia and Swobodin would have some sort of brilliant suggestions that would solve everything furniture-wise, but that would be too much to expect. There is, of course, the latest problem to solve instead...

September 22, 2007 3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home