Sunday, October 14, 2007

We Pause for Reorganization

I realize that it is perverse of me to enjoy my dissertation as much as I generally do, but I cannot help it. Writing my dissertation is much, much, more fun than most of the activities that others tell me distract them dreadfully from dissertation-writing--things like vacuuming, washing dishes, and so forth. (Petting domestic mammals, however, is an important distraction and Ms. Spots and Orion make sure that I am properly distracted.)
This morning I was quite happily settled at my local cafe with Atina Grossmann's Reforming Sex, a book which I had started to read before going to Prague but not really felt certain quite pertained to my research, since it deals with Germany. At this point, however, I can see that it is chock-full of useful stuff and must be read slowly since it adds considerable useful information to various sections. After all, before I went to Prague, I had never heard of (such trivia as) the early contraceptive Patentex, promoted by the Hydiko store and the related magazine Moderní hygiena, which now I gather was also involved in a small scandal at Magnus Hirschfeld's research institute in Berlin. Nor had I realized what a prolific author Max Hodann was, as I had only come across references to his Czech-language books, not his many German-language articles.
By the time I left the cafe, I felt ready to spend the rest of the day learning more about this sort of thing.
When I returned home, however, I discovered that I could actually see my living room well. This is a rather rare occurrence, as while I have a large living-room window, the only time there is any light to speak of in the room is during the afternoon on sunny days--not a time I am very likely to be at home. The rest of the time, the room is a very dim place indeed.
This astonishing phenomenon prompted me to forget all about Reforming Sex and propelled me into a positively abnormal state of activity. Not only did I vacuum the carpet, but I put numerous summer clothes into a suitcase, emptied another box of art books (not that any of the art books in the living room are in any intelligible order), hung up a mirror, and would have hung up several other things except that they will require assistance. I did considerable rearranging of two closets, which is not to say they are all that usable even now, but they are somewhat improved from their previous state. (I am still baffled at the near-unusability of my three closets, but since I will not be living here long, there is no point in spending money to improve them.)
Ms. Spots and Orion, though they were very much opposed to the sound of the vacuum cleaner, were pleased that I had moved one of the chairs yet again and felt that all the small changes in scenery were for the better, as rabbits like rearrangements in furniture and objects.
They were very disappointed when I gave up all this activity and settled down to scan some drawings and paintings inspired by Štyrský's dreams.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Yep, you are sick and wrong. ;)

October 15, 2007 5:51 AM  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

Hi,
Stopped by to visit after a long hiatus to reflect on my internal chaos. Good luck with your disy....

October 16, 2007 6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home