Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Mushroom Season

Julia has reminded me that in Europe, fall is mushroom season. Fall has come to Pittsburgh (the mornings are cool and a few leaves are turning color and dropping, although it still hits temperatures in the 70s and 80s--Fahrenheit--in the afternoon), but as we all know, the United States is not a mushroom-hunting land. Yes, I know a few American mushroom hunters, but that's because I know an odd selection of people. My only personal experience with mushroom hunting was in the Czech lands, and nobody here brings over their booty to share (come on, can't I use the word "booty" in its dictionary sense? you know what I mean! not that anyone has brought over their slang-booty either.).
In any case, I offer up my own bit of mushroom decor in honor of the season. Mushroom Hat and his cousin Peter are Scandinavian, not Czech, but they've been good company for many a year. (It was nice of my mother to let me have them now that I'm old enough not to run the risk of breaking them while playing with them.) They stay well out of the way of inquisitive rabbits by living atop the CD tower.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

I think it depends on whether you are from a region where mushrooms grow readily. Mushroom hunting is actually pretty big sport in PA. Check this out:

http://www.psupress.psu.edu/Justataste/samplechapters/justatasteRussell.html

I've got a mushroom cookbook by a PA chef too. Of course, it isn't anywhere near the scale of national sport like it is in Russia and Eastern Europe, but a lot of people are into it.

October 03, 2007 6:22 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

Glad to hear of this. The mushroom-hunters I know live in California. (I'll have to wear my Fungus Fair T-shirt sometime.) Still, it's not exactly every family going out foraging in the fall.

October 05, 2007 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home