Friday, February 01, 2008

Chapter 5 and the Dessicated Brussel Sprout Fad

Chapter 5 submitted fairly meekly to its fate today and allowed me to turn it into something like a finished chapter, what with introduction and some summing up. This is not to say it couldn't be improved (probably significantly), but it can be shown to other humans now.
I anticipate that Chapter 6 will follow suit tomorrow, although it ought to have more bits written about Toyen's book illustrations. The schedule might also get thrown off kilter somewhat by the need to visit that tedious but sometimes tempting realm of commerce, The Waterfront, in order to pick up a picture-framing job and buy pellets and hay for the other members of the household. Purchase of some lettuce and other greens might be in order as well.
I really don't know why these lapines can't get by on any old thing that might be in the cupboard or refrigerator, as this seems to keep me alive, but then again it is always best to treat others better than oneself. Besides, I have finally discovered something Orion will accept as a snack when Ms. Spots is having her yogurt: dessicated brussel sprouts. I really can't say what he likes about these, but he thinks they are really great. Having accidentally dried out about ten that I had planned to eat myself, now I suppose I'll have to start intentionally drying more (by placing them in a mesh bag and leaving them in the refrigerator for weeks). It is better than having slimy, moldy ones, in any case.
Ms. Spots, who likes nearly all vegetarian foods, turns up her nose at dessicated brussel sprouts.
For the proofreaders out there, it is correct to write Brussels sprout, brussels sprout, or brussel sprout. Brussels sprout appears to be the most common form, since of course the name refers to the city of Brussels, but at the moment the excess of Ss just irritates me. I also seem to recall reading that rabbits shouldn't be given cruciferous vegetables, but one dried sprout every day or two doesn't seem to be causing Orion any problems.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

would love to read your dissertation when it is finished. Are you going to publish it on your blog?

February 02, 2008 3:38 PM  
Blogger Karla said...

I think it would be a bit long to put on the blog, but once it's done it will (sooner or later) be accessible on the Proquest dissertation site and through University of Pittsburgh's electronic dissertations. What aspect of it are you particularly interested in?

February 03, 2008 3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home